This “How To” tutorial is meant to provide helpful assistance with installing the CurvesSmart software on a new computer and also includes instructions for restoring your existing database to a new computer. What is CurvesSmart software? It is a software application that is used by Curves for Women fitness locations. Each fitness location has a computer that runs CurvesSmart software. The CurvesSmart computer is connected to all of the work out machines via serial connection. This connection allows the CurvesSmart software to receive feedback information on each members workout progress.
How to Install CurvesSmart on a New PC
- The first step will be to make sure you have a backup of your existing CurvesSmart database. Copy this backup file to an external hard drive or flash drive. If you need detailed instructions for backing up your database you can access the steps for doing so here.
- Contact Curves Customer Care at 877-673-3144, Option 5. Explain to the Customer Care rep that you have a new CurvesSmart computer and you would like to unregister the installation on the old computer. At this same time ask them if they can email you a download link for the latest CurvesSmart software – in this case version 5.1.
- On the new computer access your email account and click the download link from Curves Customer Care. If you need detailed instructions on downloading and installing CurvesSmart click here.
- At this point you should have CurvesSmart successfully installed on your new computer. Next we move on to how to restore the database.
- Open the new CurvesSmart computers internet browser (Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, etc.) and search Google.com for ‘Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Management Studio Express’ or you can click this link. Click the Download button on the page. You will then be asked to ‘Choose the download you want’. If your system is 64 bit place a checkmark next to SQLManagementStudio_x64_ENU.exe and if your system is 32 bit place a checkmark next to SQLManagementStudio_x86_ENU.exe, click Next then Run (if prompted) to start the download. If you need help discovering if your computer is 32 bit or 64 bit check here.
- Once you have downloaded the Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Management Studio Express installer, run the installation and you should now see the ‘SQL Server Installation Center”. Select the ‘Installation’ tab. Click where it says ‘New SQL Server stand-alone installation or add features to an existing installation’. It will run a rule check. If there are no failures, click OK.
- Setup Support Files: click Install.
- Another Rule Check will be initiated at this point with a Warning showing for Windows Firewall. This warning can be safely ignored. Click Next.
- Installation Type: make sure ‘Perform a new installation of SQL Server 2008’ is selected and click Next.
- Product Key: click Next.
- License Terms: Place checkmark next to ‘I accept the license terms’, click Next.
- Feature Selection: click Next.
- Disk Space Requirements: click Next.
- Error and Usage Reporting: Uncheck both boxes and click Next.
- Installation Rules: Another quick rule check, click Next.
- Ready to Install: Click the Install button. Sit back and relax for a few minutes while the installation completes.
- Installation Progress: click Next.
- Complete: click the Close button to finish.
- Go to your Windows Start button to All Programs. Find ‘Microsoft SQL Server 2008’ and launch ‘SQL Server Management Studio’.
- In the ‘Connect to Server’ window, Server Type is Database Engine, Server Name is [local]\sqlexpress, Authentication is SQL Server Authentication, Login is sa, Password is left blank, click Connect.
- Expand Databases, right click on Mytrak and Delete Object.
- Right click on Databases, select Restore Database.
- In the Restore Database window, make sure MYTRAK is selected for ‘To database:’.
- Under ‘Source for Restore’ select ‘From device’ and search the local drive or your external hard drive for the database backup file you created in step #1.
- Under ‘Select the backup sets to restore:’ place a checkmark under Restore, click OK.
- You should now be able to double click the CurvesSmart icon on the desktop and log in to your new installation.
If for any reason you require technical assistance you my contact Curves Customer Care at 877-673-3144, Option 5. They will be able to put you in contact with the Curves IT department who can assist you via remote support session to resolve any issue you have.
We hope the information shared in this “How To” article was helpful to you. And if you should ever need any technical assistance with your small business our staff is standing by to assist with any IT needs that you might have. Feel free to Contact Us today at 888-596-3998 with your questions and requests.